• Ironman starts at 6 PM on Wednesday May 22nd!

• Connections on Thursday May 23rd!

• No school on Memorial Day (May 27th)!

• There is a Spring Band Concert in the auditorium starting at 7 PM on May 23rd.

10 SUMMER TRENDS

Back to Article
Back to Article

10 SUMMER TRENDS

Evelyn Webster, Opinion Editor

The summer has come to an end, which calls for a look back on the trending things during the three months of sun. It may be time for some next-season plotting, but some trends will never end. One word – Boujee. That’s right, from the popular television shows, shoes rocked and music bumped, the summer’s hottest things were “luxurious in lifestyle yet humble in character.”

Here are 10 things that were hot in summer 2018:

Cut off Levi shorts

From girls walking around downtown Sandpoint, to girls on the Instagram explore page, Levi’s shorts were everywhere. Whether they were bought for $80 from Urban Outfitters or for five dollars from a thrift shop, most girls were rocking them.

“In My Feelings” by Drake dance challenge

The top charted album, “Scorpio” by Drake, dropped this summer. “In My Feelings”, a song on the album, seemed to be a crowd favorite. What’s a hot and popular song without a new dance challenge? Nothing.

Chubbies swim trunks

Although quite expensive, to most boys the short style of swim trunks was a big hit this summer. The brand Chubbies seemed to be the most popular site to buy from, as they offered many different styles and patterns.

Platform sandals

When sandals were too boring and heels were too uncomfortable, platform sandals happened. Many girls were rocking the easy to put on, with a little height, sandals with dresses or shorts this summer.

Checkered apparel

Gingham, the more proper word for “checkered,” was a huge hit this summer. Both girls and boys were wearing checkered everything. The classic unisex checkered Vans were worn this summer. Girls were rocking skirts, shirts, and even swimsuits that were gingham style while boys had socks and pants in this style as well.

Fortnite

Although the video game has been around for quite some time, the game really hit its peak this past summer. Owners with a platform to play on were, most likely, frequently playing during the summer. The game is “a player-versus-player battle royale game for up to 100 players, playing alone or in squads of two or four. Players airdrop from a “Battle Bus” that crosses the game’s map without any weapons”.

Apple’s AirPods

Launched by Apple in 2016, the wireless headphones hit a hot spot this summer amongst all sorts of people. With their easy and simple style, quick charge, and handy Bluetooth, people used them for millions of different things. Although small in size, they’re large in price at about $160.

Spikeball

Although this yard game has been around for several years now, this summer was full of Spikeball mania. From people playing at Sandpoint City Beach to the Pro’s playing at national competitions, everyone was out to buy their own spikeball net. The game is simple yet difficult; it can be compared to volleyball, yet played with a net on the ground with a smaller apple sized ball.

Astroworld by Travis Scott

Released on August 3rd, his new album easily hit the top charts in a matter of days. Some top hits on the album are “Yosemite” and “Sicko Mode.” This album is still on the charts as Travis has been recently received more fame from the new addition to his family, his and Kylie Jenner’s baby, Stormi.

Netflix’s original movie “To all the Boys I’ve Loved Before

On August 17th, Netflix released a romantic comedy/coming of age movie about a girl in love with many boys, although one boy seems to be just the right one for her. This new film immediately started trending on social media after its release; a very popular recommended film for teenage girls.

About the Contributors
Evelyn Webster, Opinion Editor

Evelyn Webster is a senior and it is her second year on staff. Here are some fun facts about Evelyn.

What takes up too much of your time?

Buying...

Joe Parsley, Web Editor

Joe Parsley is a junior and it is his first year on staff. Here are some fun facts about Joe.

What are you freakishly bad at?

Hitting a baseball....