BRIEF: UPCOMING SCIENCE CIRCUIT

Science students gear up for the fourth annual Science Circuit

Learners, teachers, and all curious people rejoice: Sandpoint High School’s fourth annual Science Circuit is coming up, and this year, for the first time ever, the entire community is invited.

Since its first year, the circuit has tripled in size, and this year will host more than 450 fifth and sixth-grade students from local elementary schools.  

Visitors can explore the science of a wide array of topics from bubbles to ice cream to jet engine ignition at the molecular level. In a fun, hands-on setting similar to that of an interactive museum exhibit, participants are encouraged to inspect the world around them with a curious eye.

As part of their independent study projects, SHS honors science students investigated a topic of their choosing, conducted a scientific exploration, and met with community experts on the topic to develop an entertaining and informative exhibit showcasing their research. By taking on the role of a teacher, students master their material and act as role models for younger students in the district.

Unlike previous years, the upcoming Science Circuit will feature exhibits from the physics, Computer Aided Design IV, and information systems classes as well as from the traditionally featured chemistry classes.

The event emphasizes the importance of science in today’s world, showcases STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) career opportunities, and celebrates K-12 science education in the Lake Pend Oreille School District and throughout our community. STEM is recognized as today’s burgeoning field of choice: the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that employment in STEM occupations will grow by 18.7 percent. Local businesses and STEM professionals are invited to participate, either exploring exhibits or sharing their own.

Students attending this year’s STEM event will also have an opportunity to win a $250 scholarship through Idaho College Savings Program.

The Science Circuit is open to invited 5th and 6th grade classes during the day in the Sandpoint High School gym, and will additionally be open to the public from 4:00-6:00 PM on Friday, March 17 in an effort to include more community members. Please contact [email protected] for more information.