AIRPLANE GONE WHERE?

With the ACES Aviation Club getting closer to completing their long labored project, take a look at what they have been doing with their aircraft

Over the past two years students from the ACES Aviation Club have all participated every Saturday to build their own aircraft. To build this, students had to draft plans, obtain supplies, and even install the parts in order to produce a functioning aircraft.

“We are about 90 percent finished with the plane,” junior club member Ronnie Korn said. “All we have left is fueling, brakes, and some minor details until it will be fully functional.”

However, while the students began developing the plane in the high school and are almost finished, they recently had to relocate it to the Sandpoint Airport and finish their construction in one of their hangars.

“The plane used to be at the high school but when it came to the point where we had to attach the wings, we realized that once the wings were on we wouldn’t be able to get it through the garage door. So instead we had to move it to the Sandpoint Airport for completion,” Korn said.

Although the plane is now at the Sandpoint Airport, when finished with the plane’s construction students will be able to utilize the plane if needed for requirements in acquiring their pilot’s license. These prerequisites range anywhere from flight hours in the plane to activities like fueling and maintenance training.

The ACES Aviation Club meets at the Sandpoint Airport for a couple of hours every Saturday, so any student interested in a career in flight may join the club and participate in the activities needed for a pilot’s license.