REMODEL, REBUILD OR RELOCATE

LPOSD considers options after middle school building receives unsatisfactory rating

In a recent physical condition assessment of LPOSD schools conducted by Teater Consulting, Sandpoint Middle School and Lake Pend Oreille Alternative High School received unsatisfactory ratings at 29 percent and 35 percent respectively. Sandpoint High School scored fair, at a 65 percent rating.

In response to that report, a facility improvement plan for has been developed. That plan proposes a new middle school building and has prompted more evaluation of LPOHS.

“I don’t think anybody would argue that it’s not time for a new [middle school] building over there,” Tom Albertson said.

One thing Albertson has asked the District Facilities Committee to keep in mind when considering the footprint for the new middle school building is Sandpoint High School’s need for an auxiliary gym.

Most schools our size have an auxiliary gym.

— Tom Albertson, principal

“Most schools our size have an auxiliary gym, and so even though I know it’s not highest priority, I wouldn’t want there not to be a space for it,” Albertson said.

This plan for a new middle school on the existing campus includes a minimum addition of four classrooms to SHS, which was designed to enable additions onto the south end.

As Lake Pend Oreille High School also needs to be updated or rebuilt, the board is discussing the possibility of moving LPOHS to the SHS and SMS campus.

“They basically came out with three choices: remodel the existing building on that current site, build a new building on that existing site, or build the alternative high school on this site,” Albertson said.

That decision is yet to be made, but each option comes with its pros and cons. The alternative high school being closer would open up more elective options for those students, but Albertson said he thinks sometimes having a new start is beneficial.

“I really don’t know if there’s a right or wrong decision, because there are those pros and cons,” Albertson said.