Acadeca Wins State

The Sandpoint High school Academic Decathalon team wins state for the 6th time in a row.

To be the best at something means that you have something more than your competitors, whether it be in resources, training, time, skills, etc. The Sandpoint high school Academic Decathlon team has been the best in the state for 6 years; winning their 6th state championship consecutively over the weekend of March 15th and 16th. This means that for the 6th year in a row, 9 team members will compete in the national championship at the end of April, where they are currently ranked 3rd. Clearly, the Sandpoint’s Academic Decathlon team has something more. However, this team’s something more is far simpler than advanced materials, resources, and super structured studying for everyone on the team. Their something more is the dedication and love they have for their teammates and the program. They are simply a group of kids who love learning and become each other’s family.

Aca Deca is an elective class here at SHS that is also a competitive team. Members of AcaDeca compete in ten events. 7 of those events are testing events. Essentially at the beginning of the year, team members are given a large binder of information on 7 subjects (Literature, Social Science, Science, Math, Art, Music, Economics), all pertaining to a theme that is predecided (this year it was technology and humanities, last year it was the American Revolution, and before that it was water), and they are given 7 multiple choice tests on all the information in the binder. The also have to give a speech on any topic of the members choosing, an interview, and an essay which also pertains to the information in the binder. 

So clearly, it was no easy feat winning state once, let alone six times. Over state this year, Acadeca managed to take home about 92 percent of all medals awarded in their division, and every student that competed won at least one medal, many winning multiple. A truly remarkable feat, considering freshmen through seniors were competing, meaning that it was many competitors’ first year on the team. Sandpoint took 3 teams down, and had team 1 take first place overall, and team 2 take second place overall. Another truly incredible feat, considering the team welcomed a new coach this year, Becky Haag, after head coach of 8 years, Dana Stockman retired last year. To celebrate their win, the team took a trip to Barnes and Nobles. In their downtime, the team also had the opportunity to check out the State capitol building and sit in on an active legislation session. 

The winning culture in Acadeca was foremost built during the tireless late night and weekends team members dedicated to studying. However, it was also built in the moments after team study sessions, when chatter would get so loud, that the team earned themselves the title of loudest class in the school. During pre-meet potlucks where competitors would share dinner together at team members houses before competing the next morning. 

AcaDeca is proof of what can be accomplished when you mix a common goal, some crazy teenagers, a lot of enthusiasm, and some dedication together.