JACKED TO GET RACKED

Since the beginning of the school year, some teachers and students at Sandpoint High School have successfully filled their hunting tags.

With the change of the seasons also comes the conclusion of the hunting season. As some frantically try to fill their tags at the end of the season, many have already tagged out, including a few who have bagged impressive bucks.

Many students and teachers have put in early mornings and late evenings in the woods, often times waking up before sunlight to get in prime position for the earliest light of the day. Many do this every weekend, even if it means sitting in the rain, cold, and sometimes snow.

Mr. Gray, a teacher at Sandpoint High School, is one of the few lucky ones who killed a deer on their first day hunting. This was also the first time he had hunted since 2007. He says, “I saw a dominant 4 by 3 on my trail camera, and this is when I got really excited […] After I killed the buck I was on cloud nine, it was very satisfying when I finally got the deer and I am already looking forward to next year.”

Sophomore Tanner Kohal also put down a high class buck in the woods surrounding Sandpoint. He described his experience, “I had a ton of adrenaline and could not stop moving or thinking. I probably put in seven or eight full days for him. I had to chase him about a mile.” Some people hunt solely for this particular feeling.

On Thanksgiving Day, Junior Raven Broehl went out hunting with her uncle and father. It was bitter cold, and just as she began to lose hope she saw the buck of a lifetime. She recalls her father saying, “You [Raven] shot him way better than you thought sis […]He’s a giant, bigger than any I have ever killed.” She said she was really excited and she will never forget this experience.