IT’S A BIRD, IT’S A PLANE!

Pre-AP and AP Art students create an art installation in the Commons.

Sarah Wells

More stories from Sarah Wells

PREVENTING SUICIDE
November 2, 2015
Hannah+Gustafson+%2812th%29+and+Megan+Murray+%2811th%29+make+final+adjustments+to+the+art+installation+on+Sunday%2C+May+17.+

Hannah Gustafson (12th) and Megan Murray (11th) make final adjustments to the art installation on Sunday, May 17.

While most other students may have been studying for a Monday test or finishing homework, some of Ms. Guthrie’s Pre-AP and AP Art students were hanging paper airplanes in the Commons on Sunday evening.

The art installation features 41 paper airplanes that were folded and painted by Ms. Guthrie and her students last week. Mary Johnson (11th), Megan Murray (11th), Hannah Gustafson (12th), and Amy Shepard (12th) helped hang the artwork with Ms. Guthrie in the evening on May 17.

Hannah Gustafson (12th) and Megan Murray (11th) view the final installation after working with Ms. Guthrie and several other students to hang up the paper planes.
Sarah Wells

Initially, the plan was to hang the airplanes at some point on Monday, May 18 during or after school. However, the Pre-AP and AP class decided that it would be more surprising for students to arrive in the morning and see the planes.

This installation is particularly exciting for Guthrie and her students because art exhibitions in the main building are generally reserved for the senior mural and art hallway. Rarely do students have the opportunity to see artwork created by their peers outside of the classroom.