TOO YOUNG TO VOTE

The stress of students being politically involved, yet too young to vote in elections.

Being high school students, the majority of us aren’t legally adults towards the end of our senior year, therefore meaning we are not of age to vote in upcoming elections.

Some students may follow up on county, state, and nationwide elections. On the other hand, some students may have no idea what’s happening in a political sense. For those of you  who do keep up with what’s happening in the world, you might just understand the struggle of not being old enough to vote.

High school seems to be the beginning of the realization of politics for most students. Whether it be education, taxes, human rights, or gun laws, students begin to formulate political opinions on these topics during their adolescent years.

What exactly does someone do with their valid and strong opinions if they aren’t voting age? Well, being invested in politics myself, I feel the frustration. However, there are many ways to voice your opinion and support others without having to be an adult.

For instance, you can join your community or state in marches and walks. Many prevalent issues ranging from women’s rights to gun control deem the uprise of marches, to spread awareness and a voice on behalf of the issue intended for resolution. Debating and talking politics seems to have become a trend in the past few years.

If you have the political knowledge, it’s important to share your opinion to people and shed light upon topics that you believe are relevant. A healthy debate once in a while wouldn’t hurt either.

Some people have the perspective in a sense that ‘if you’re not old enough to vote then your political opinion is irrelevant.’

However, allowing the young [high school students] to have a voice in politics, rightfully prepares and educates them for future elections and controversies regarding political scenarios.