TEACHER THROWBACK TUNES

Teachers share their favorite music from high school

When it comes to thinking about teachers as teenagers, it can be difficult to imagine them as young, rambunctious, high school students.

Every student has wondered at least once what their teacher was like when they were younger. Were they the troublemakers or jocks? With some teachers it may be easier to determine, but others may have some surprises hiding in their youth.

In order to find these surprises one can turn to a person’s taste in music. By learning the music teachers listened to during high school, one can obtain a glimpse of the youthful personalities of these adults.

To physical education teacher Steven Miller the music that brought him back to the good ole days of high school consisted of mainly Rolling Stones and other rock bands like Def Leppard and ACDC.

The sole teacher of choir at SHS and SMS, John Brownell, fondly recalls listening to everything Michael Jackson during his high school years.

Dalton Hawkins remembers listening Smash Mouth, specifically the song All Star, working as a camp counselor in Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

Part time speech teacher and administration member, Lisa Barton reminisces about her high school years at Aberdeen High School in Post Falls, Idaho being filled with music from the glam rock band Poison and Def Leppard with some Vanilla Ice thrown in for good measure.

Sandpoint High School alumni Conor Baranski listened to bands like Blink 182, Sublime and rappers such as Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg. As part of his soccer pregame, Baranski also rocked out to the band Rage Against the Machine to get his blood pumping.