WHAT’S IT LIKE BEING NEW?

Take a look into what Sandpoint High School is like to some new students

Almost everyone knows what it feels like to be new in some kind of environment and that’s not always easy. Sandpoint High School has gotten around 10 new students so far this year, give or take a few. Many are coming from the charter school, other towns, and homeschooling. Principal Tom Albertson stated that a new students experience at SHS largely depends on what kind of environment the student came from.

Some new students come to the high school just for certain electives, such as Kami Bremer, who’s only in student council or Clint Miller who just takes the Model United Nations class (MUN) while they do the rest of their schooling online.

Sophomore Maysen Markley, switched from the Forrest Bird Charter School this year, as he wasn’t quite connecting with the teachers and the school.

“I didn’t really like the teachers,” Markley said, “I don’t feel like I was being taught as well as I could have been.”

So far, Markley’s experience has been positive, saying that teachers and students have been very friendly, and have gone out of their way to say ‘hello’ in the halls and introduce themselves. He appreciates how the classes are personalized to the student, differing from the charter school where the curriculum was based around group projects and presentations.

Other students who came from smaller schools or homeschooling, had to adjust to the amount of students that there were. Junior Marian Soderberg, who was previously homeschooled, found the hardest part about coming to a new school was that everyone already had their “clique” or friend group, so it took some time to make friends but over time she was able to meet new people. Natalie Petit, a transfer from Priest River High School felt the same way.

“It wasn’t really overwhelming, it was just hard making friends,” Petit said, “it’s been a little awkward because I don’t know what to do or say sometimes.”

For the most part, new students have felt that students and teachers alike are friendly, but don’t always reach out to make an effort and actually hang out with them, but nonetheless, they are still nice. For some students, it was very different coming to a school where the teachers are much more hands on and personal, which sometimes results in the creation of great teacher-student relationships.

No matter what, going into a new school can be an uncomfortable situation, and it takes effort from both new students and current students alike to make the transition easier and more cohesive. Remember to be kind and spread positivity to all students, but specifically with new students, as it can make a difference in the experience either negative or positive for  Sandpoint High School can offer to new and old students alike.