THE ANATOMY OF A HIGH SCHOOL RELATIONSHIP

High school dating stimulates social growth

Relationships and dating may not seem beneficial to a high school student’s future romantic life, although, in my opinion, they seem to help teenagers with social growth and maturity.

Being a high school student, and having a few relationship experiences, I know that they’re not detrimental to my life after high school. Heartbreaks come about, and they can bring the feeling of regret. Yet through the duration of the entire experience it can ripen your mind as you get the chance to learn not only the type of companion you want, but the type you want to be.

While there can be downsides to partaking in high school relationships, these adolescent experiences are a critical part of growth and development for most teenagers. A relationship can ultimately turn into a life lesson, and I believe that’s a positive impact of breakups.

When speaking of beneficial high school relationships, this isn’t referring to people who bounce around from person to person, or even people who pursue someone solely based upon physical appearance. Rather, dating because of reciprocated affection and gratitude towards one another, provides teenagers with the opportunity to identify the difference between a healthy and unhealthy relationship.

Healthy relationships consist of communication, mutual respect, and most importantly, fun. Whether you’re 45 or 17 years old, those three components remain salient. None of this means that high school relationships will necessarily lead to marriage proposals; however, they provide a unique opportunity to gain real world knowledge and experience.

Overall, dating as a teen is a physical and mental educational experience that one should most definitely go through before entering the “real world” of adulthood. Relationships can serve you a plate of many disappointments, yet you will learn and grow from it. That’s the best thing about it.