MADDUX RECEIVES CREDIT 2 KIDS AWARD

Junior Jennifer Maddux won $500 to use within the high school after showing her hard work and dedication within the community

Junior+Jennifer+Maddux+receives+%24500+from+KREM+2+News+and+STCU+while+in+her+choir+class.+Maddux%E2%80%99s+parents+and+school+counselors+Jeralyn+Mire+and+Cindy+Albertson+were+with+the+news+team+to+present+the+check.+

Mackenzie Packer

Junior Jennifer Maddux receives $500 from KREM 2 News and STCU while in her choir class. Maddux’s parents and school counselors Jeralyn Mire and Cindy Albertson were with the news team to present the check.

Junior Jennifer Maddux was recently announced on KREM 2 News, the winner of the Credit 2 Kids award. Student Teacher Credit Union and KREM 2 hosted the award to acknowledge the amazing work local teens do throughout their community.

Throughout the school year, six students are chosen for the award. Maddux received $500 to use at Sandpoint High School in any of the programs she chooses.

“I still debating where to put the money because I’m so involved in many different things and I see that it can be put to good use in many different places so I am going to talk to Tom Alberson and ask him where it is most needed and put it where he suggests,” Maddux said.

Counselor Jeralyn Mire, Idaho’s 2016 counselor of the year, nominated Maddux after seeing how she is willing to step up and help anyone. “I see her everywhere and she shows up everywhere and helps everyone with anything, whether it be with Mentors and Interact, or with the Rotary Club,” Mire said.

Maddux is the vice president of Interact, secretary-treasurer of National Honors Society, involved in Math Club, and is a Peer Mentor. “I enjoy working with my peers and helping people make their high school experience the best that it can be because I have had a great time in high school and love being involved,” Maddux said.

Maddux felt surprised but awkward when she won the award. “I was really surprised and felt really good for the recognition but I didn’t really want to be on t.v. that was a little awkward,” Maddux said. “It’s nice to have the spotlight for a second but also scary at the same time.”

The Credit 2 Kids team came to the school on April 20 to honor her achievements and broadcasted the announcement live. Along with the award of $500 to use within the school, Maddux will also be entered to win the Credit 2 Kids Grand Prize which is a total of $5000 to use at Sandpoint High.