GETTING INVOLVED

Sophomore Mason White is passionate about giving back

McCalee Cain, Lifestyles Editor

Not only is sophomore Mason White busy at school as an athlete, club member, and student, she additionally works as an activist and volunteer as an involved community member.

White has met with 350 Sandpoint, a chapter of the international organization committed to environmental conservation called 350.org. The group gets its name from its mission to decrease atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration to 350 parts per million, which is recognized by scientists as the safe level of carbon dioxide. Currently, the earth is at 400 parts per million.

“In the high school we meet and we talk about a lot of stuff, but…[the members of 350 Sandpoint] are actually super active about trying to make a change and what they can do,” White said.

The group works to combat climate change and stand up for environmental conservation throughout the nation.

White also works in cooperation with the Kaniksu Land Trust, cited by White as a “really neat company” that works towards local environmental conservation among many other causes. The company also advocates for the merit of the outdoors in regards of health benefits in conjunction with Park Rx, a national initiative focused on the prescription of outdoor activity by doctors.

“[Kaniksu Land Trust] really want to get into the younger community because we have had so many problems with depression and suicide, and they want to work with teenagers and want to start up some programs to get kids outside,” White said.

In an effort to put this information out to younger people in the Sandpoint community, social media campaign Outside 7B was created. White currently manages the Instagram account for Outside 7B.

White additionally volunteered extensively over last winter break with her mother and sister creating toiletry care packages for the inhabitants of the Valley Vista living facility.

“It was really cool to see how excited [Valley Vista inhabitants] got at something as simple as fuzzy pajamas,” White said. “I feel like we, as a younger society, expect so much for Christmas and stuff, and…it was just cool to see them get excited at the simple things.”

White expressed that there are many opportunities for volunteering and activism for those looking to become more involved in the community.

“You’ve grown up in a community that has given so much to you, and now that we’re older and have at least a little bit of time, there’s a lot of easy things you can do [to give back] if you’re willing to put in the effort,” White said.