MAKING THE MOST OF A COLLEGE VISIT

6 tips on how to get the most out of your college visits

rsz_1dsc_0297
Explore the campus on your own

Guided campus tours are great, but it is also very helpful to explore the campus on your own time. Go to college facilities such as the dorms, cafeteria, library or the theater. This can give you a better feel of the campus.  

Don’t be afraid to ask questions

Make sure to ask any questions on your mind. No question is a bad question. It is very helpful to talk to current students and ask about what they like and don’t like about the school.

“Spend some time on the campus and go up to random students,” counselor Jeralyn Mire said.

Sit in on a class

Try and visit schools while they are in session. Talk to an administrator to see if you can sit in on a class. This will give a better insight on the classroom environment. Are they big lecture rooms or smaller classes with more one on one attention?

Contact the administration before going

Before visiting a college, call the school administration. They may be able to help you out with your visit by letting you go in a class or having information ready for you. It is also helpful to make bonds with the administrations, as they will be able to guide you in deciding if that is the right school for you.

“Meeting with your departments head and making those relationships can be really key,” said Amanda Ott, who is the college career mentor at SHS.

Look for classes and clubs that target your interests

Make sure that the school has classes in your targeted academic field. Also look for clubs and activities that draw your attention. You may find an activity or club that you have always wanted to try out.

Don’t set your expectations too high

No school is going to be perfect, so don’t expect it to be. Weigh the pros and the cons and see if the flaws will make or break your decision.