BEST SELLING BOOK REVIEWS

Books you should and shouldn’t read.

Reading books is beneficial.  Blah blah blah. But when you are first getting into reading, there are so many options on where to start and it can be overwhelming. Especially since there are so many books gaining popularity on social media and becoming bestsellers. Thankfully, I read a 100 books last year, and have picked some of 2023’s best sellers to review for you. So, whether you are looking to get into reading, or an avid reader looking for their next read, I’ve got you covered!  Please note, these are just my personal opinions, and a book I love might not be for you, and vice versa!  

Divine Rivals by Rebecca Ross- This book is a 368 page romantic fantasy novel, and is the first installment in a duology. This book follows two rivaling journalists, Iris and Roman, who find out they are able to communicate through magical typewriters during a war between two gods.This book is dual perspective. For a fantasy, this book had extremely simple world building. I didn’t mind this at all, as the setting of this book was intended to resemble our current society, with a few twists. During this book, the fantasy aspect was on the backburner, and the romance was on the forefront. Which, again, I had zero issue with because the romance was beautifully done. The characters were so lovable, and easy to root for. Their story is so heartwarming! Watching them fall in love through letters was spectacular!  The writing and prose of this book was stunning, and roped me in from the beginning. The pacing was admittedly a little slow, though. I think this is a great read for anyone who is new to fantasy reading or loves romance. If you are looking for an epic high fantasy this might not be for you. 

The Housemaid by Frieda McFadden- This is a 300 page domestic thriller that follows a former inmate, Millie, as she gets a job as a maid for a very creepy family, and everything ends up going downhill through various shenanigans. The premise of this book was really interesting, but I found it to be very poorly written. The author’s writing style was bland, and the author does a lot of telling and not showing. It was a bit repetitive, and I found it hard to get into. However, the twist was entertaining even if it was predictable. I also found the characters insufferable. I think this is an awesome read if you love thrillers, and are looking for something quick and easy. 

Happy Place by Emily Henry- This is a 400 page women’s fiction/romance novel. It follows Harriet, a girl who recently broke up with her fiancé Wyn, but their friend goes to a lake house every year, and to keep everything normal, they pretend to stay together. This book is beautifully written, with excellent pacing. This book portrays character flaws beautifully, and makes this romance feel very human and real. This romance also covers so much more than the couple itself, also showing natural changes within the friend group as they adapt to post-college life. This book is great for tried and true romance lovers, but I also think that people who don’t typically enjoy romance would appreciate this book. However, if you are looking for a fluffy, fun, happy romance this isn’t for you, as this is definitely a tear-jerker!