A Semester Outdoors

Sandpoint Highschool students take a semester of learning outside.

Growing up in Sandpoint Idaho the Edmundson twins have found a passion for exploring the outdoors. Avery and Erica Edmundson are Juniors at Sandpoint High School and have chosen to  take a semester away from their local highschool and are attending Alzar School in Cascade, Idaho. Alzar is an outdoor school with the mission to build leaders who will positively affect the world. The students who attend Alzar are outdoor enthusiasts from all over the United States, this semester the Edmundsons have classmates from California, Tennessee, Colorado, North Dakota, and Chile. 

Avery Edmundson poses with Alzar classmates while on a backpacking trip.

Students at Alzar experience learning both inside and outside the classroom. A few weeks ago the school went on a two week exploration down the Main Salmon river for a week, and then transferred into a snowy backpacking trip.

They will finish their semester in Chile. Being at the school for a few months now and getting to know her surroundings, Avery Edmundson has loved “meeting so many new people and making amazing friendships, as well as learning how to kayak.” Overall the Edmundson twins are having a blast experiencing new surroundings away from home and will cherish the outdoor leaders they become through the guidance of the Alzar outdoor school.