• Ironman starts at 6 PM on Wednesday May 22nd!

• Connections on Thursday May 23rd!

• No school on Memorial Day (May 27th)!

• There is a Spring Band Concert in the auditorium starting at 7 PM on May 23rd.

SANDPOINT: LIBERAL HAVEN

How Sandpoint’s politics seemingly compare to the rest of Idaho

Josh Wells, Multimedia Editor

Idaho is well known for being a more right leaning state, since 2000, Idaho has only elected republican president senators and representatives. And for most areas of Idaho, this philosophy holds constant.

However, much of Sandpoint remains an enigma to this general rule. Where in the rest of the state, besides the most populated areas you might find one in ten people being a liberal, in sandpoint the number is much closer to one in two, which is the national average.

So what makes Sandpoint such a liberal place? Why is it so different from the rest of the state and from so many rural areas from all across the country?

This can be explained by several things, mostly due to Sandpoint’s unique geography.

First of all, Schweitzer plays a big role in this, as ski towns are well known to be liberal areas across the country. They attract a wide variety of people from the elderly to people just out of college, but they’re consistently more liberal.

In addition to this, Sandpoint’s natural beauty is a big attractor for tourism. This influx of people compared to the average small town, skews Sandpoint towards a more balanced amount of liberals and conservatives.

So what does this mean for Sandpoint High School? Is the influx of liberalism to Sandpoint beneficial or a detriment to the average students education?

The mix of political ideas from a wide range of liberalism and conservatism makes Sandpoint a perfect place to be exposed to new or different ideas.

Both too much liberalism and too much conservatism are bad for an individual, so Sandpoint being a sort of “melting pot” for political philosophy allows students to gain a more well rounded view of the world then someone living in a very rural, typically conservative area, or someone in a typically liberal big city.

This well rounded view can allow students to decide for themselves what they believe politically, instead of just having the same view as their family.

About the Contributor
Josh Wells, Multimedia Editor

Josh Wells is a senior and it is his second year on staff. Here are some fun facts about Josh.

What takes up too much of your time?

I spend wayyy...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “SANDPOINT: LIBERAL HAVEN”

1. Richard Howell on January 24th, 2019 2:43 pm

A small paragraph including a brief explanation about how the data was collected, is essential to articles such as these. I would love to know, for example, why the study includes “alt-right”, but not “alt-left”. This automatically displays a degree of bias, whether intentional or accidental – and coupled with the lack of a brief explanation about the collection process, makes the entire study easily challengable.

2. Hillary Clinton on January 25th, 2019 3:50 pm

A variety of perspectives and beliefs within a town usually strikes a healthy balance of ideas, agendas, and progress. Sandpoint was built on the backs of people with strong morals, a vest for capitalism, and a strong work ethic among its people who were working towards the American dream. I believe the people of Sandpoint embrace and welcome all people, regardless of their origins, socioeconomic status and political views. You see this in the generosity of people helping others and standing for causes they believe in. I hope the town retains its genuine character for generations to come. The biggest downfall for Sandpoint would be to see an explosion of liberalism, throwing the balance off kilter. Just as we want to move past the former false associations the town had with skin-heads, lets not turn Sandpoint into California – please!

• SANDPOINT: LIBERAL HAVEN

OPINION

OUR VIEW: VITAL SUPERINTENDENT QUALITIES

• SANDPOINT: LIBERAL HAVEN

MULTIMEDIA

AS CLEAR AS A BELL

• SANDPOINT: LIBERAL HAVEN

OPINION

WHY 90 MINUTES IS RIGHT

• SANDPOINT: LIBERAL HAVEN

OPINION

THE SEASON OF REJECTION

• SANDPOINT: LIBERAL HAVEN

OPINION

SUSTAINABLE IS ATTAINABLE

• SANDPOINT: LIBERAL HAVEN

OPINION

MOST ANTICIPATED MOVIES OF 2019

• SANDPOINT: LIBERAL HAVEN

OPINION

J. COLE “MIDDLE CHILD” REVIEW

• SANDPOINT: LIBERAL HAVEN

OPINION

B4P FIRST TIMER ADVICE

• SANDPOINT: LIBERAL HAVEN

OPINION

NON-WINTER LOVERS

• SANDPOINT: LIBERAL HAVEN

ARTS AND CULTURE

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT OF 2018

SANDPOINT: LIBERAL HAVEN