Filed under NEWS

HEARTS FOR HUNTER

Community rallies to support freshman hurt in dirt bike accident last December

A benefit is planned for freshman Hunter Jacobsen, who was hurt in a dirt bike accident in December.

Courtesy Photo

Freshman Hunter Jacobson was gravely injured in a accident while riding on his dirt bike on Dec. 2. Jacobson suffered several serious injuries including critical head trauma, internal injuries and broken bones.

He currently remains in a coma at Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane, although he is stable with good vital signs. Because of the severity of his injuries, there will be a long period of convalescence.

I think some of the best ways students can show their support for Hunter is to keep talking about him in positive ways.”

— Carmen Daugherty

“I think some of the best ways students can show their support for Hunter is to keep talking about him in positive ways. He has a long road ahead of him, but he will come home, and when he does an  important part of that process will be knowing that his friends still have his back,” said Carmen Daugherty, a close family friend of the Jacobson’s.

Jacobson has undergone multiple surgeries and continues to fight for his life daily.

Due to the lengthy recovery, insurance will not be covering all costs, as there are many expenses that go along with this situation. The Jacobson family is strengthened by the community’s support during this time.

While Jacobson is in the hospital, the community has began rallying in support of his fight.

A fundraiser dinner was held on January 25 at Jalapenos Mexican Restaurant, in which all proceeds benefited Hunter and the Jacobson family directly. At this event, customers were lined out the door and all seats were filled from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m..

Approximately $5,700 was raised in one night. A large portion of that was due to the donation buckets Hunter’s friends Eli Daugherty, Zander Moore and Zac Kohal, walked around with during the event.

There is a Go Fund Me page set up by friends of the Jacobson’s that has raised over $7,000 of their $10,000 goal.

Other donations can also be made directly at Wells Fargo Bank to the “Benefit for Hunter Jacobson” account.

There will also be bracelets and stickers available, with his motocross number on them, that students can get by donating to his fund.

The SHS mentors have set up a system called “Hearts for Hunter”, which allows students to write letters, or notes, to Hunter. These will be hung up in his room throughout his recovery process. It is located in the foyer next to the compliment box.

In the future, friends of the Jacobson’s are also planning a large fundraiser at the Fairgrounds on March 31.

Those interested in donating auction items for the event can drop them off at Sandpoint Furniture or contact event organizers to schedule a pick up.

1 Comment

One Response to “HEARTS FOR HUNTER”

1. Janna Hull on March 10th, 2018 5:59 am

Hunter is a strong person. He has been fighting every day to get better and he has shown us that. So proud of Hunter and praying everyday for him.
    Love our Hunter J.

[Reply]

• HEARTS FOR HUNTER

NEWS

REALITY CHECK

• HEARTS FOR HUNTER

NEWS

STANDING UP

• HEARTS FOR HUNTER

NEWS

CANDIDATE RUNDOWN

• HEARTS FOR HUNTER

NEWS

A VOTE FOR CLIMATE CHANGE EDUCATION

• HEARTS FOR HUNTER

NEWS

BRINGING VIP TO SHS

• HEARTS FOR HUNTER

NEWS

MARCH FOR OUR LIVES

• HEARTS FOR HUNTER

NEWS

WILD MOUSE CHASE

• HEARTS FOR HUNTER

NEWS

ACADECA SUCCESS AT STATE

• HEARTS FOR HUNTER

FEATURE

WALKOUT FOR PARKLAND

• HEARTS FOR HUNTER

NEWS

STUDENT WALKOUT

HEARTS FOR HUNTER