YOU DON’T KNOW SQUATCH

It’s about ye big,” Freshman Kjetil Lund-Andersen said as holds out his arms to show the estimated length of Sasquatch footprint, “I first became a believer [in the Sasquatch] when I was up in Bonners Ferry and I saw the print.”

Last week, the Sasquatch Club, also known as the Squatch Club was passed by Student Council and Administration as an official club to Sandpoint High School. The club, first created by  senior Peik Lund-Andersen this past summer, will educate the school community on the Sasquatch and its presence in the northwest, specifically in Bonner County.

“I just thought that we are in desperate need of Squatch Club,” Peik Lund-Andersen said.  “So I went and talked to my brothers and  [they] were just like, ‘Yeah! We should definitely have a Squatch Club,’ and that’s how it all started.”

The Squatch Club will be lecture and education based, where people, believers or not, can come together to talk about their theories and ideas in a safe and open place.

“Sasquatch Club is safe place for people of all of beliefs and walks of life can to  join. You don’t have to be a believer,” Kjetil Lund-Andersen said.

The club plans to educate the student and Sandpoint community through guest-speakers and public forums. They have future goals of inviting James BoBo Fey, a Sasquatch expert featured on Animal Planet’s Finding Bigfoot.

They also are striving to invite a professor from Idaho State University that is an “advocate for squatch rights,” to speak at one of their meetings.

Along with annual educational meetings, the club also strives to have monthly squatch outings, where they grab their backpacks, camp out and search for Sasquatch. As a matter of fact, Bonner County is classified as one of the best places to find Sasquatch. President Peik Lund-Andersen plans to head to the Olympic National Forest, which according to the King 5 website is, “the best place to find Sasquatch.”

These are future goals for the club. For now, they just plan to get their name and mission out there into the community. Peik and Finan Lund-Andersen want to combine the public’s and school’s knowledge of the Sasquatch to get rid of the “mystical” stereotype the Sasquatch has.

“The Sasquatch is intelligent, and we want to go into the community and educate them about it and the danger it faces today, like logging, deforestation and climate change,” Peik Lund-Andersen said.

The first meeting with be held Nov. 1 in John Hastings room after school. Everyone is encouraged to attend, especially non-believers.

“Our main goal is to educate, not persuade. Give the people facts, then they can decide for themselves,” Finan Lund-Andersen concluded.