CUSTODIAL STAFF CHANGE

Jay Shepherd moves on to District Facilities Foreman, replaced by Rennie Wruck

Jay Shepherd, one of Sandpoint High School’s hidden heroes, will now be leaving the high school to now work with the district.

“I will miss the day-to-day interaction between staff and students and working with my team,” Shepherd said.

Shepherd was the facility foreman at Sandpoint High School for the past four years. He would be here at 5:30 a.m. every morning and wouldn’t leave until the night shift, around 2:30 a.m.

He would have to prepare the school for the students’ arrival by unlocking everything, turning on lights, and maintaining the lights and air conditioning systems.

“This job at the high school was the most rewarding of my career because it involved helping students and staff….” Shepherd said.

Shepherd will now be working as facilities foreman of the district. He underwent a competitive interview process to get his new position, one he was able to acquire through his extensive qualifications inside of LPOSD and outside. He has worked at Sagle Elementary, Sandpoint Middle School and Nordstrom.

“Jay has shaped very successful custodial programs at every school he has worked in,” District facilities Director Matt Diel said.

He will now going on to working as the district facility foreman, helping out all of the schools instead of only Sandpoint High School.

His jobs now will be to make sure all schools are working the most efficient and effective way by guiding and advising all custodial member through the district.

“I’m looking forward to getting it started on it’s way,” Shepherd said of the new position.

Shepherd’s departure should not affect the larger picture as he has trained the rest of the custodial staff well. His friendliness will be missed through Sandpoint High School by staff and students alike.

One of the custodians at Sandpoint High School commented on Jay’s departure.

“I feel that I will miss Jay a lot because he is a super hard worker and he did what he was told and that he was a great influence on this school,”  Joshua Wallis said.

Rennie Wruck will be filling Shepherd’s old position as the facility foreman of the school.

“He will do a great job,” Principal Tom Albertson said.

Wruck was chosen because he had hands-on experience from working here in the summers along with the school year. This meant he didn’t need to be as newly trained as someone else who would have taken the position.

These changes may not seem to be affecting too many people directly but without these custodial heros such as Shepherd who stay here hours before and later than anyone else, our schools would be a much different and dirtier place.