TAKING THEIR OWN ADVICE

Do staff members check their email as much as they tell us to?

Students see it all of the time on the morning announcements, “check your email either everyday or every Monday.” It is too often our own emails to staff members go unanswered.

Why should students be expected to keep ‘in touch’ with staff if they never actually check or respond to our attempts at communication? There are many students that have sent their teachers and or staff in general an email and it has gone unanswered.

It should not matter if the email is just a simple question or setting up a meeting with a staff member they should all be answered. It is only fair if we are expected to answer all of the emails for staff to ourselves then staff should answer our emails to them.

Students like Isabelle Martin know exactly what it is like to not be responded to when it comes to their emails to their teachers.

Martin was attempting to email Erin Roos and she never did receive a response. Roos just took care of the situation and never mentioned it to Martin again.

“When it comes to communicating with teachers I prefer face to face,” Martin said.

Although it is easy to blame the teachers for being rude or just plain ignoring us, they do sometimes have actual reasons as to why they did not respond to us but they should talk to us eventually rather than ignoring us.

Teachers often have policies whether we realize it or even know and understand them or not. Sarah Miles has such a policy.

“Once I leave school I do not check my email so that I have time for my family. But, I always respond to all student emails within a 24 hour time period,” Miles said.

So when it comes to getting a response to an email the best thing to do is either wait a day or two or simply go to them in person and directly communicate with them about the situation.