EARLY AMBITIONS

Seniors share their plans for early graduation

Meet Emily Navarra (12), one of a number of seniors graduating a semester early. While most students graduate within four years, there are other routes, and graduating early has become an option that many students now consider. The process is relatively easy but requires self motivation, shared Cindy Albertson, who deals with students who are graduating early.

“Students must meet with their counselor first and go over all credit requirements to see if it is feasible.  They develop a plan with their counselor which includes online classes they will need to take,” Navarra said.

Albertson works with students to create strong plans so they can have a feasible idea of what they’d like to do during their semester before starting college.

However, she shared that graduating early can create added stress on the student if they don’t have a strong idea of what they would like to do.

“Online classes, though they sound appealing, require total self-motivation to complete within the given timeframe; this does not always fit a student’s commitment level and can create added stress, an F on the final transcript, the need to retake the class, and feelings of inadequacy,” Albertson said.

For Navarra, the decision to graduate early came easily after her return from a semester as an exchange student.

“I chose to graduate early because after I returned from Colombia, I just really felt done with high school and wanted some extra time to enjoy life before going off to college,” Navarra said.

Navarra, who wants to study viticulture and is undecided regarding college, felt that the process was easy enough and recommends early graduation to anyone who wants to work, travel, or take time off before starting college.

For Madeleine Albertson (12) and Logan Temple (12), early graduation offers time to take a break and work, and an opportunity to save money before starting college in the fall.

Albertson plans to travel to Cabo San Lucas, Todos Santos Mexico, and Cape Town South Africa during the spring and summer before she starts college at Vancouver Island University studying Interior Design.

“I would recommend it due to in some ways you can get started on college courses that are paid for within that second semester,” Madeleine Albertson said.

Temple plans to work and take some online classes after he graduates, and later attend the University of Denver.

“The advantages of graduating early would be to give kids an opportunity to take a break, and actually be out of school for a little bit before they go on and start the grind of college,” Temple said.

Albertson and Navarra both decided to graduate early as sophomores, but Temple made the decision the summer before his junior year.

Thinking about graduating early earlierin a student’s career gives them some time to make a final decision, which is good for those who are undecided on whether or not they really want to graduate early.