FROM CANVAS TO CLASS LEGACY

A closer look into creating the senior mural.

Jordan Garrett

More stories from Jordan Garrett

AP TESTING
May 6, 2015
HAIRSTYLES
April 16, 2015

TEAMWORK: SENIOR MURAL ARTISTS BEGIN THE BONDING PROCESS.

The class of 2015 senior mural artists were recently selected after completing the application process last week. The selected artists are Lizzie Suhr, Madi Contor, Anna Trejos and Hannah Gustafson.

The application is a semi-new way of selecting the artists. In previous years, Student Council members would select students, not necessarily based on artistic talent, to create the mural.

The application asks a variety of questions not all based on artistic ability. Applicants answered questions about their school involvement, thoughts about being a student at Sandpoint High School, and why they wished to be a part of a public art project and their artistic experience. One of the main aspects of being an artist for the mural is the amount of after school hours dedicated to creating the work of art.

The first step in the process of creating the mural is the artists getting to know one another and sharing ideas about their vision. Next, the artists come up with the overall theme for the mural and begin to grid it out on the canvas. Typically, the artists do not begin painting until after Christmas break, but the mural must be completed during after school hours before spring break.

Student Council is responsible for buying the supplies for the mural out of the senior class budget. The mural itself is on 8’ x 8’ plywood and uses acrylic paint. The amount of money set aside by Student Council differs every year. The advisor for the mural is art teacher Heather Guthrie. This is her second year being an advisor. She is there to oversee the project and help the students translate their ideas from paper onto a much larger scale. Guthrie is also responsible for selecting the artists from the applicants after discussing each student with the administration.

“I’ve done a lot of public art before with kids and I really like seeing them learn the process of what it takes to create a large piece of art. They might have a really cool idea but it might not look cool on a large scale,” said Guthrie.

Along with creating the mural, the artists will not have to present an individual tri-fold at the Senior Expo. They must complete their research paper on a topic of their choosing, but do not have to create a visual presentation on that particular topic. Instead, the artists will create a tri-fold together to present their progress on the mural. Creating the mural is a privilege for the students who involved in painting, and a physical memory for those graduating. Students are able to enjoy the mural and what their class has to leave at SHS.

The artists will begin their creative journey soon, and the senior class is looking forward to what the artists will create to leave behind for future classes to enjoy. “I’m excited to leave a mark on the school and represent our senior class in an artistic way,” said Anna Trejos.