PROM SLATED FOR COLUMBIA BANK BUILDING

Location still needs to be approved by LPOSD School Board

The Columbia Bank Building in downtown Sandpoint appears likely to be the site of prom on April 25.

A prom location proposal will go in front of the School Board on Tuesday, Feb. 10, at Sandpoint High School, along with other previously scheduled agenda items.

“From my experience, I think it’s an excellent location,” Principal Tom Albertson said.

The building has been the site for prom two previous times.

“Both times, students have had a lot of fun,” Albertson said. “It kind of has two different atmospheres: a great place to dance inside, but also a sitting area out around the fountain that is also nice.”

The Columbia Bank Building, which was formerly owned by Panhandle State Bank, was the second choice for the event, according to Student Leadership.

“The location was set by default because we had no other venues open and we were double booked with the [Sandpoint] Events Center,” senior class president Aislynn Robertson said, “but they cancelled our request for the location because another school paid first.”

Although some people may have preferred the Sandpoint Events Center location, the Columbia Bank venue will likely be well received considering the other options available, such as the high school gym.

“[The Columbia Bank Building] would not be the ideal place that I would pick, but it is certainly better than the high school and probably a lot better than other places that we could get,” senior Alexis Bussey said.

After Robertson posted the previous location of the Sandpoint Events Center on the Class of 2015 Facebook page, the change in venue brought upon some confusion for some seniors.

“I like it better than it being at the high school or middle school, but I am kind of upset that they didn’t run it by the seniors,” senior Breylan Martin said. “And I think that we should have more of a say rather than one person or a couple people deciding it.”