RUNNING LATE

New tardy policies cause confusion.

Alex Baker

ISIS: New policies of ISS has caused widespread confusion though out the halls of SHS

The school year is well under way, yet some students are still confused on the new tardy and sign out policies.

“After your 3rd unexcused tardy, you will serve lunch detention each time you are tardy for the rest of the semester,” said Attendance Officer Patsy Sletager.

This year, students will no longer be notified that they have lunch detention and many students are confused on how they are supposed to know if they have to attend lunch detention.

“The new tardy policies are awful, they are really confusing and I don’t like how it is up to your teachers whether or not you are late,” said senior Dillon Mickelson.

Other students disagree. “I like how it is up to the teachers,” said senior Matt Knott,“before you had to get a tardy no matter what, but now, some teachers are more lenient and don’t make you get a tardy pass if you were hardly late.”

The rules can be very inconsistent because some teachers might not give you tardy until you’re ten minutes late, but another teacher might count you tardy if you aren’t in your seat when the bell rings.

Another new rule this year is that if you’re over 45 minutes late to class you should report straight to in-school suspension.

This rule seems to be very counterproductive. A student’s punishment for missing school is that they have to miss more school? Instead of motivating students to come to class earlier it just sets them further back in the educational process. There has also been confusion this year regarding 18 year old students and sign outs. However, the rules have not changed much and Sletager said the bottom line is if you want to be treated as an adult, you should act like one.