FAMILY ON FACULTY

rsz_dsc_0036Lauren Sfeir
It can be a relief for many teenagers to escape their family when they head off to school. However some students don’t have that option.

Many students at the school have parents or relatives on staff that they see during school. Most of these students agree that it can be convenient to have a relative on campus.

Both of Laney Search’s parents are teachers here, and the junior says she appreciates it.

“I like it because I can always put my stuff in my mom’s room, and she has chocolate in her room that I can steal anytime I want,” Search said.

However, she said that it isn’t always a blessing. “One time, though, my dad told his classes that I watch Dog with a Blog. I do not.”

Junior Addie Edwards also said that she liked having her grandmother, Attendance Officer Patsy Sletager, around at school.

“It’s nice because I feel like I have my own office when I take over hers,” Edwards said. “Also, if I do bad at anything, she knows immediately, so I am pretty motivated.”

Though the thought of seeing family at school may seem strange to many teenagers, it’s really inevitable in a small, close-knit community like Sandpoint.

“It’s not weird” said Junior Maddie Albertson, who is the niece of principal Tom Albertson. “I just call him Tom.”