CIRCUITING SCIENCE AT THE HIGH SCHOOL

Sandpoint High School’s annual Science Circuit is quickly approaching

Joe Parsley

Junior Marcus Anderson practices his Science Circuit topic with partner senior Jake Suhr in their Chemistry class.

There’s three major events in March almost all Sandpoint High students know about: spring break, March Madness, and the Science Circuit.

The 7th annual Science Circuit will be on Thursday, March 12, in the Sandpoint High School gym. The circuit is put on by the high school’s science department with honors students becoming the “teachers” for the day. The event is open to the community and is a great way for people of all ages to learn about science.

Each group of Sandpoint High School students will have an exhibit that will teach visitors something new in the field of STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). Within the science realm, topics will range from chemistry to physics to anatomy & physiology, or could possibly be a combination of topics.

One exhibit from a group of physics students will consist of a large ladder teeter-totter for kids to sit on to understand torque. There will also be an exhibit for students to spin in circles to better understand angular momentum.

For chemistry, there will be exhibits that explain elephant toothpaste, the color of fire, and methane bubbles.

Shifting towards anatomy and physiology, students will teach why elephants can’t jump, how caffeine affects your heart, and colorblindness.

The students picked their topics back in September and have been researching the topic for approximately 5 months. They’ve worked hard on the interactive exhibits to make sure it’s understandable for all ages.

Feel free to stop by and support your local high school from 2:50 – 5 p.m., when the circuit is open to the public.

Fifth and sixth graders from neighboring elementary schools will attend from 9-10:30 a.m or from noon to 1:30 p.m.

If you have any questions, contact Mike Martz at [email protected].