PUTTING IN THE WORK

Sandpoint athletes dedicate summer free time to training

It’s safe to say that most high school students relish in the freedom that comes with summer break, specifically the freedom to sleep in. Many of Sandpoint’s student athletes are sacrificing this comfort as part of a meaningful commitment to competition and excellence.

To prepare for their upcoming seasons, nearly every athletic program at the school has been putting in work this summer. From football players to dancers and cheerleaders, a wide variety of competitors can be seen in the gym bright and early during the week, either working out, practicing routines, or learning and refining new skills. Teams have also traveled away from Sandpoint to attend camps.

“We will be heading to a camp in Tacoma, Washington, which I think we’re all looking forward to, to not only gain more skills but also for the great team bonding moments,” Cece Gedrose, sophomore cheerleader said.

Boy’s basketball is in the gym three hours a day, five days a week.

“We have some kids that are coming in and working on our shooting guns. Spencer Thompson is close to 14,000 shots that he’s put up,” coach Kent Leiss said.

“When I came to Sandpoint, I thought the skills of our basketball players were deficient, so this is a chance for a lot of the boys that are in high school to get better at passing, dribbling, and shooting.”

While sacrificing some free time in the summer can be a difficult sacrifice to make, the athletes that commit year-round reap serious benefits.

“You feel more in shape, and [summer training] just makes playing easier. You can totally see a difference in your game,” Christian Dressel, junior soccer player said.

The discipline required to train all summer enriches an athlete’s responsibility, and radiates throughout an entire program.

“I think it’s absolutely necessary,” assistant volleyball coach Lydia Tollbom said of summer training.

“I think that you can’t expect to be a championship team without it, and I think that it sets a really good tone for the players of the program. Every time you start to come into the gym, you take things more seriously, you’re more committed, and it shows a lot of growth by the end of the summer.”