18-YEAR-OLD VOTERS

Turning 18 brings upon more political responsibility for students.

Madi Sleyster

VOTE: In the upcoming elections, some seniors have the option to vote.

This November will be the first voting season for many Sandpoint High School seniors. Sandpoint will be electing local offices this fall, among State elections as well, and eighteen-year-old students will have their first opportunity to make their voice heard.

Tuesday, Nov. 4 is election day this year. Polls will be open from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.; Sandpoint Community Hall will be the polling place for Sandpoint residents, and Sagle Elementary will have polls open for Sagle residents. Other polling sites are listed online at the Sandpoint Online website under ‘2014 General Election.’

In many cases, non-presidential elections may cause students to feel less prepared to vote because there is less publicized information available.

“The first step is understanding what your own political beliefs are. Then from there, research which people on the ballot will closely represent your goals as a United States citizen,” said Kristin Hawkins, one of the government teachers at Sandpoint High School.

Sandpoint High School students have their own opinions about voting. “I feel like I don’t know a lot about the candidates but voting is important, and you should be able to make an informed decision,” said senior Madi Contor.

Some students even feel excited and are looking forward to voting, like senior Lily Martin: “I’m stoked. I’m really excited to vote and now politics apply to me because I can vote.” In the general election, federal, state, legislative, and judicial offices will be up for election, and county offices within Bonner County will be voted upon as well. Perhaps most notably, the state offices include the governor, senators and representatives, whose positions will directly represent the entire state of Idaho.