A HELPING HAND

Take a look into what fellow Sandpoint High School students are doing to dish out their help in the kitchen

While everyone may know the role of the food and custodial staff at Sandpoint High School, some students still have no idea of what their fellow peers do to help out not only in the kitchen, but in cleaning up the messes that are made as well.

For students like Brandon Wolff, Andrew McKerracher, and Sarah McKerracher, activities like helping serve food, working in the kitchen and cleaning becomes an everyday lifestyle. Not only do these students help the lunch and custodial staff with simple tasks, but these students also get the opportunity to get service hours for their efforts.

When asked about these specific students, Kitchen Supervisor Dottie Davis says “Kids like Andrew and Sarah McKerracher or Brandon Wolff will usually leave class five minutes early to help set up and then will serve food for half of their lunch time. As a reward for their help, we will either give them a free lunch everyday or even give the service hours if they need it.”

In addition to the help from various kids in the kitchen, some students are also given the chance to take a class which helps clean up and put away the tables fourth period after second lunch. In this class, students will spend the majority of the hour and a half packing up tables or cleaning up various scraps left around the lunch room.

“It’s always good to have the extra help from the students and I know that it is very appreciated amongst the kitchen and custodial staff to have them. Part of what we do couldn’t be possible without them,” says Dottie Davis.