TEACHING YOURSELF

The perks of taking an independent study course.

rsz_dsc_3981Lauren Sfeir
One of the many alternatives to taking a classes that are offered in the Sandpoint High School course catalog is doing and Independent Study (IS). Independent study allows for students to delve deeper into a subject of their choosing that is not offered at Sandpoint High.

Not only does IS offer courses that are not given at SHS but they also help students raise their grades and fit classes into their course schedule. Many students have packed schedule that have no wiggle room for the classes that are required of them that year.

So to fit in classes like Studio Art and Pottery, students take independent study to fit in those humanities that they wouldn’t be able to take other wise.

Student’s who do Independent Study are able to teach themselves. However, IS is not just a free period for a student to do whatever they please.

When signing up for an independent study,  the student needs to have a teacher to proctor their class, as well as help them establish a syllabus. These steps taken by the administration insure that a student will get their full from their education.

“My teacher […] Zabrielle Dillon […] mainly helped me with small things […] and then let me work on my own and try new thing,” Lydia Harrison said. “I think that independent study is a really good opportunity […] It’s a chance to push yourself and learn something that really interest you.”

Independent study is a great option given by the administration to the students to further their learning. It is something that is to be taken advantage of. It can increase an individual’s understanding of a subject and give them additional credit.