POINT / COUNTERPOINT

Moose Madness vs. Star Wars

The new Star Wars opens the same night as Moose Madness. Cedar Post editors Logan Finney and Ben Bristow debate which event to attend.

MOOSE MADNESS

By Logan Finney, Multimedia Editor

Why wouldn’t you go to Moose Madness? It’s a fun way to show off your Sandpoint pride, and the money we raise goes to the Sandpoint Lions Club’s annual Toys for Tots fundraiser, which provides Christmas presents to about 1,000 local kids each year.

Moose Madness is all about celebrating Sandpoint and giving back to our community. Also, we’re going to kick some Badger butt in basketball, and you don’t want to miss that.

Moose Madness only happens once a year! We’re all seeing Star Wars at some point, so why only go to one? Star Wars will be playing for weeks, but there’s only one chance to go to Moose Madness. Take advantage of it while you can.

Also, Star Wars is going to be insanely packed. Moose Madness is going to be crowded too, but that’s part of the fun! Unlike the Star Wars crowd, grumpy about the tall person in front of them and the kid kicking their seat, the Sandpoint crowd is going to be pumped up and full of energy. You’re going to be surrounded by tons of people either way, so pick the crowd you’ll enjoy being a part of.

Plus, you get to watch Madi Schoening play basketball. ‘Nuff said.

To sum it up, you have two options: you can either see Star Wars tonight in a theater full of grouchy strangers, or you can yell and cheer your lungs out as your Bulldogs beat the Badgers. Then tomorrow night, you can celebrate by watching Star Wars.

STAR WARS

By Ben Bristow, Web Director

If you’re a student at Sandpoint High School, going to the premiere of the new Star Wars movie would definitely be the best gift you could get yourself for the holidays.

On Dec. 18 Star Wars: The Force Awakens makes its worldwide debut. This also happens to be the same date as Moose Madness. It’s very apparent which event I’ll be attending: the Star Wars premiere.

There are many reasons why I would rather see the new movie. For one, I want to be a part of the global event that I can talk and relate to almost anyone about no matter where I am. Attending Moose Madness to me would mean a missed opportunity.

Also, the debut of a new trilogy is close to a once-in-a-lifetime event. Because of this, seeing the debut of a new set of movies is something I would not want to miss, not even for Moose Madness. Moose Madness is something that I’ve already attended three times. I don’t need a fourth and I don’t care if it is my last.

On top of that, I don’t enjoy showing up to a chain of events where I have to be crowded into a loud sweaty gym with the most uncomfortable seats possible. I’d rather be crowded into the dark, air conditioned movie theater with seats that are cushioned and have a reclinable back. So, don’t look for me at Moose Madness — I won’t be there.

May the Force be with you.