CAROLINE SUPPIGER: PRESIDENT OF IASC

Delia Boyd

More stories from Delia Boyd

BAND CONTEST CONCERT
April 16, 2015
SPRING SPORTS
April 16, 2015

Caroline Suppiger attended a Regional Leadership Conference with the rest of SHS Student Leadership in October 2014. Her role as IASC President in 2015-16 will include organizing this event next year. Suppiger is fourth from the right in the bottom row of this photo.

On Friday, Feb. 27 members of Sandpoint High School Student Council traveled down to Boise State University to compete at the State Student Council Conference.

The junior class Student Leadership President, Caroline Suppiger, had previously decided to take on the task of running for the IASC (Idaho Association of Student Councils) President.

“I wanted to do this because I really like student council and leadership, and I wanted to expand my horizons and do something beyond my school,” Suppiger said.

Suppiger had to take on many additional projects in order to run for an IASC office. This included giving a biography and a speech at the state conference, and even after these were completed, she had to make it past the preliminary round.

After the preliminary and final round, every school was granted up to three votes, depending on if the school went to the regional and state conference and how many members that school had brought to the state conference. These three votes could be split between candidates.

In the end, Suppiger was elected IASC President for 2015-16. Her role as the IASC President will include flying to Boise four or more times a year, and planning the entirety of the regional conference and part of the state conference. This planning involves organizing leadership speakers and the conference schedules. She will work in conjunction with two other students from Central and Southern Idaho, three advisers from each region, and an executive adviser.

Suppiger will also attend a National Association of Student Councils Conference in either Utah or Washington this summer in order to learn about leadership, compare how other states run their conferences, and gather ideas on how to better Sandpoint High School’s Student Council.

“I think I’ll be able to do this well,” Suppiger said.