MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU
Reviewing all sorts of stuff regarding the movie series, Star Wars
May 4, 2020
Star Wars fans, buckle up because today is May 4th (be with you).
As a Star Wars fan myself, I feel obligated to write about my favorite movie series, especially on it’s national day.
Here are my thoughts on the best and worst of each trilogy, my movie rankings and a little prediction at the end.
BEST AND WORST OF EACH TRILOGY
Best villain is…Darth Maul. I don’t think I need to explain this, but I will. Maul’s appearance just screams the Dark side, and his double-bladed lightsaber is cooler than cool. I will give some credit to Sheev Palpatine (Darth Sidious) for how methodical his plan was to take over the galaxy.
Worst set of lungs goes to…General Grievous. If you know, you know.
Worst Scene: Qui-Gon Jinn saving Jar Jar Binks in The Phantom Menace. Jar Jar wouldn’t be a terrible character if he wouldn’t talk so much, but you know, he never stops talking.
Best Scene: Yoda killing the clones who were about to kill him in Revenge of the Sith. Somehow, the clones thought they could just come up behind Yoda and kill him, but Yoda ended up doing the killing. But my favorite part is the Wookies after the fact.
Worst, but best friend goes to…Lando Calrissian. I know he didn’t really have a choice, but he definitely could’ve warned Leia Organa, Han Solo, Chewbacca, or the droids about the Empiralist presence.
Best species is…the Ewoks. Any other answer is wrong. The scenes with these little bear-like creatures are comical, and their determination to help their new friends is admirable.
Worst Scene: Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker dying in Return of the Jedi. Right when he shows he has good in him by killing Darth Sidious and saving his son, Luke Skywalker, he dies. (This is just my emotions talking. The scenes themselves are excellent.)
Best Scene: Battle of Hoth in The Empire Strikes Back. This isn’t even a debate. This is the best scene/battle in all of Star Wars.
Worst thing that happened was…Darth Sidious finding a way to live which was discovered in The Rise of Skywalker. Right when you think the Rebellion could be over if Kylo Ren switches back to the Light side, Darth Sidious appears. And he looks terrible.
Best surprise is…Leia being a Jedi. Obviously she was going to be Force-sensitive with Anakin Skywalker as her father, but her brother, Luke Skywalker, actually training her was an unexpected surprise.
Worst Scene: Chewbacca yelling after Kylo Ren kills Han Solo in The Force Awakens. This scene is absolutely painful to watch because of the pain in his scream.
Best Scene: Han Solo turning Kylo Ren back into Ben Solo in The Rise of Skywalker. By doing this, it gave Rey and the Rebels a shot to destroy Darth Sidious and bring balance back to the Force.
SKYWALKER SAGA MOVIE RANKINGS
Excluding spin-off movies
- Revenge of the Sith – 4 words: Darth Vader is born.
- Return of the Jedi – I love the Ewoks. And Darth Vader turns back to the Light side to save his son from Darth Sidious is pretty awesome. But again, the Ewoks make this film great.
- The Empire Strikes Back – The Battle of Hoth and Lando Calrissian’s loyalty make this film an absolute masterpiece. It would be higher but I love the Ewoks and Darth Vader.
- The Rise of Skywalker – Rotten Tomatoes doesn’t support this movie being this high. Luckily I don’t care. The Rebels finally take down the First/Final Order and peace is restored to the galaxy. Sadly, this is the last of the Skywalker Saga.
- The Last Jedi – This is a middle of the road movie. Luke dies, but Leia, Rey and the Rebellion still live to fight another day.
- Attack of the Clones – Best scene was the Battle of Geonosis with the Jedis taking on Count Dooku’s droid army. But the rest of the movie can be forgotten.
- The Force Awakens – Only thing important about this movie is the relationship between Rey and Kylo Ren. Everything else is irrelevant.
- A New Hope – This movie mainly just sets the scene for what’s happening. The characters are meeting each other and there isn’t as much action as the others. Plus Obi-Wan Kenobi dies.
*Major Tier Break*
- The Phantom Menace – No Jedi Anakin? And Qui-Gon Jinn dies? Plus the Trade Federation? Hard pass. (I’ll probably rewatch it 10+ times though.)
FUTURE MOVIE PREDICTIONS
A new trilogy was announced back in November of 2017 by Lucasfilm, but there were no other details released besides the release years: 2022, 2024, and 2026.
One plausible prediction for the newest trilogy is Star Wars goes back 1,000 years before the Clone Wars occurs and explores the Jedi-Sith War during the Dark age, or fall of the Old Republic.
In this case, the trilogy would most likely include Siths like Darth Revan and Darth Bane against the Jedi.
Another plausible prediction is Disney/Lucasfilm take the trilogy in a complete other direction by introducing new characters from a different galaxy.
There’s also many rumored stand-alone films in the works, but obviously, they’re just rumors–nothing has been confirmed.
One idea that may be very interesting is a stand-alone movie on how the Rebellion’s war with the Empire/Order affected ordinary people on a particular planet.
Also, seeing how the Hutts, particularly Jabba, became powerful would be intriguing too. But like I said, this is all speculation. The validity of these rumors will be confirmed or denied sometime in the near future (hopefully).