POAC ART SHOW

The Pend Oreille Arts Council (POAC) hosted a Lake Pend Oreille School District art show on March 13, 2015.

Sandpoint High School art students had the opportunity to showcase their works in a district-wide show hosted by the Pend Oreille Arts Council (POAC) on Friday, March 13. Over 300 students submitted works of art in various mediums, from paint on canvas to glass.

“Students gain a sense of pride in themselves as an artist and understand the demands of producing quality work, their best effort, to be viewed and critiqued by others [when they submit art in a show],” Heather Guthrie, one of the art teachers at the high school, said.

All of Guthrie’s classes displayed artwork in the show, but only a select number of students from Art I, Art II, and Art III with “highly creative and well crafted” artwork were chosen. This was a required assignment for Pre-AP and AP Art students.

“I submitted an engraving of roses that I went over with a red watercolor palette […] I did go to the show and it was very nice. […] POAC provided drinks and cookies as well as having a local youth orchestra playing their violins in the background,” Megan Murray, a Pre-AP Art student said.

Zabrielle Dillon, the glassblowing and pottery teacher, had her glassblowing classes submit art as a requirement in the show.

“For me, it was advanced art and then I was just so delighted that the advanced glass class got to participate. It was the first time we’ve had glass in an art show. […] They wanted to sell [their glasswork]; they are donating 50 percent of all their money back to the art department,” Dillon said.

High school students, artists and community members were all in attendance at the Little Panida Theater art show.

“I love the student-created art work. It always impresses me how talented some of the students are. I honestly think a few can go on to become professional artists,” Ben Reich, a junior in attendance at the show, said.

“The show was well-attended by both students and the public. I always get very positive feedback about the art my students have exhibited,” Guthrie said.

The POAC Art Show will run through April 31 and is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.