GOING CLUBBING: HOSA

HOSA prepares students for a future in the medical field

Mackenzie Packer

HOSA members pose for a group photo

HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America) is a club based on the ideas of students learning skills relating to the medical field and testing those skills through competitions.

“[The purpose is] to learn new things and find out more about the medical field,”   member Harmony Hendershott said.

Schools have HOSA clubs that operate similar to sports teams, they have state level competitions and meet up with different schools to compete.

Hendershott went to state and participated but did not win anything.

“I’m going to Nationals in June,” hendershot said.

HOSA is a national club that holds numerous competitions between multiple schools with different HOSA clubs from around the country.

Competitions can range from CPR on children to properly bedding patients.

There are currently six categories of competitions that include Health Science events, Health Professions events, Emergency Preparedness events, Leadership events, Teamwork events and recognition events.

The competitions can be individual or groups with multiple teams competing against each other.

Another purpose of this club is to prepare students for careers in the medical field.

The founders of the organization’s original purpose was to improve America’s medical field by teaching students interested in the medical field actual skills that will benefit their career.

“Anybody can join. You don’t need to be interested in the medical field,” member Shelby Flathers said.

If any students are interested in joining, they should speak to advisor Mrs. Kennedy, or  President Elect Calli Laybourne.