BIKING YEAR-ROUND

Sandpoint biking enthusiasts continue over the winter season

rsz_crop_this

Snowbiking, otherwise known as fat biking, has been gaining popularity amongst outdoor enthusiasts across the northwest.

Riders no longer have to put the bike away for the long winter season and are able to continue riding in the snow.

Fat bikes differ from a traditional bike by their wider, and larger diameter tires.

These are filled to an air pressure of 12-15 psi, much lower than a traditional mountain bike’s tires, which are filled to 30-50 psi.

The larger surface area and lower tire pressure allows the bike to be easily ridden through the snow and ice. Teachers and students in Sandpoint High School have also been swept up in the cycling extravaganza. Science teacher Mike Martz talks about his passion for snowbiking.

“It feels like a monster truck, it’s really neat to ride in the snow. Round lake is good, they have a fancy thing that grooms or packs the snow,” Martz said.

Many communities have begun to accommodate for this innovation in cycling. Students interested in fat biking can look into some local areas that are snow biking friendly.

Schweitzer Resort has 32 kilometers of trails that are open during the winter season when the snow is firm.

Trail passes for snowbiking are affordable, running less than 15 dollars each.

If students want to rent a fat bike you can do so at Greasy Fingers in downtown Sandpoint.

Nearby locations that also offer snowbiking are Farragut Park, and Round Lake. Outside of Idaho, Winthrop, Washington is the biggest area for fat biking with over 130 miles of groomed trails.

Whether students use snowbiking to get to school or as a form of exercise, it is a fun way to get outdoors during the long winter season.