WHY PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG

Most of the time students expect that they should stand for the Pledge of Allegiance, but how do some feel about the common ritual?

flag

Every morning at the beginning of second period students normally assume that they should stand for the Pledge to honor the nation or the valiant heroes who fought for it. However, while most students participate in the Pledge as a sign of respect, students are also given the choice to decide whether or not to say the words or even stand at all.

For students like Erik Suhr, many understand the reason why students might not stand for the pledge. Whether some students agree or not, students who choose to sit could be faced with the fact that they do not agree with the violence of war or the actions of America. Rather than standing, they sit instead of supporting something they don’t believe in.

“I don’t mind if someone decides to sit. While I choose to stand and think that they should as well to show respect, it ultimately is their decision and I don’t judge them for that,” said senior Erik Suhr.

Not only is it the choice for the student on whether they want to stand, but for some students it might not even be part of their culture. Although it may be common for students in the United States to stand for the Pledge in school, some kids like foreign exchange students are not used to the practice that we think is widely common.

For Taiwanese foreign exchange student Daniel Chen, what we call the Pledge in the United States is far from what they are used to in Taiwan.

“In Taiwan we don’t do the Pledge of Allegiance, so when I came to America it was very confusing and unknown to me. Normally we will say the anthem in class to show respect for our country, but in America it is very different,” said foreign exchange student Chen.

Even though standing for the Pledge may be natural for High School students, it becomes a choice to participate in it in the end and while it may be uncommon, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. After all, that is the values America was founded upon.